10 Questions with Alan Sprints of Hair of the Dog Brewing
Hair of the Dog
1) If you were stranded on a deserted island, and you could only choose one pound of either hops, water, barley, or yeast, which would it be, and why?
Hops, at least I could remember what Beer smelled like.
2) What is the best aspect of NW beer drinkers?
The support they give to local Breweries. We have some of the most educated Beer consumers in the world.
3) What is your favorite beer style, and why?
I guess I have to say strong ales, because I make so many, but I really feel that I have no favorite. I enjoy a good Pilsner when the time is right as much as an aged Lambic. My favorite style is the one I feel like at the time.
4) What is the first beer you brewed that was worthy of a name?
Umbilical Ale, I produced for my first child's birth 9-1-1992.
5) Where do you get your inspiration from when creating new beers?
People I know and places I've been.
6) What is the most misunderstood aspect of being a professional brewer?
Long hard hours with low pay.
7) What characteristics of Portland make this area so popular for brewers, breweries, and consumers?
For me it is just a great place to live. There was a time when our water was enough to get Brewers to build.
8) If “Northwest Ale” was added as a new style of beer, what would it be?
How could there be one style that represents the NW? I think the NW style is Quality and Variety.
9) What is the most underrated hop?
Who rates hops?
10) What are the relationships like between competing brewers? Is there a sense of community, friendly competition, etc.?
We work together on most Issues and have a very tight Brewing community.
|Previous Post12 days of Abyss (part 4) (DO NOT TYR THIS ATHOME!}||Next Post:Eugene Invades Portland|